WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Pretty Poisonous Plants

Cat_Plays_With_A_Pink_200.jpg
Tips for Avoiding Toxic Plants

Many common plants can be toxic.

Do research before choosing plants for your yard.

Tell your florist to not use any type of lily in arrangements sent to friends or relatives if they have a cat.     

If you think your cat or dog has ingested a poisonous flower, call your veterinarian immediately for instructions.

We all enjoy flowers, whether in a vase in our house or in our gardens.  We enjoy the multitude of bright colors and the fragrant odor they give us. But there can be a dangerous aspect to some of our favorite plants.  The list of poisonous plants is very long, but this will give you information about some of the more common flowers and ornamental plants.

Lilies are common as cut flowers and in landscaping.  They are toxic to cats, but fortunately not to dogs or horses.  All parts of the plant can cause kidney problems. A cat that walks through a garden of lilies, then ingests the pollen as it grooms its fur, can develop severe kidney problems.

Azaleas are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, mental dullness, cardiovascular depression, collapse, and death. Even eating a few leaves can cause serious problems.

Bird of Paradise is among one of the most beautiful flowers, but it can be toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. The fruits and seeds can cause vomiting and drowsiness.

Begonias, especially the tubers, are toxic to dogs and cats. They can cause oral irritation. This can progress to swelling of the mouth, lips, and tongue, causing drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

All parts of the castor bean plant are toxic, but the seeds contain the highest concentration of ricin, one of the most poisonous compounds known.  This affects horses, cats, and dogs. Symptoms are mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, seizures, and death. Signs usually start 12 to 48 hours after ingestion.

Chrysanthemums are toxic to horses, dogs, and cats.  They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, inability to walk properly, and even skin problems.

Hibiscus can cause a loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea in cats, dogs, or horses that ingest it.

Oleander is very toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  It has toxins that can cause a low heart rate, heart failure, and death. It is possible to also see vomiting and diarrhea.
There are several ornamental plants that contain cardiac glycosides. Plants such as clematis and foxglove can affect dogs, cats and horses to cause weakness, heart failure, drooling, and death.  

There are hundreds of other plants that can be toxic. For more information on any toxic plants, consult with your veterinarian. Simple precautions can keep your pets safe and healthy.

Source:

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

Exclusive Offer

New Patients Receive 25% off First Consultation/Exam.

THIS ---->https://bvcnycom.vetmatrixbase.com/index.php

Office Hours

DayOpenClose
Monday9:00 am6:00 pm
Tuesday9:00 am6:00 pm
Wednesday9:00 am6:00 pm
Thursday9:00 am6:00 pm
Friday9:00 am6:00 pm
Saturday9:00 am12:00 pm
SundayClosedClosed
Day Open Close
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
9:00 am 9:00 am 9:00 am 9:00 am 9:00 am 9:00 am Closed
6:00 pm 6:00 pm 6:00 pm 6:00 pm 6:00 pm 12:00 pm Closed


After Hours Emergency

Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center
3930 North Buffalo Road
Orchard Park, NY 14127
Phone: (716) 662-6660
http://www.opvmc.com

Greater Buffalo Veterinary Emergency Clinic
4821 Genesee Street
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Phone: (716) 839-4043
https://www.petemergencybuffalo.com

Newsletter Sign Up